Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

04 January 2010

N.Z. House & Cottage 38. (Final). The Derelict


I wrote and illustrated ‘New Zealand House and Cottage’. It was published in 1997. It’s a snapshot of some historic New Zealand homes - both grand and modest - as they were preserved at the end of the 20th century. I decided to share some of the entries from the book from time to time on this blog.
The book contained 41 houses or cottage. This is the final page.



THE DERELICT
Over many years, I saw this farmhouse crumble. It stood in a paddock some distance from the highway in that gentle country south of Nelson where the weather is fine most days. Having drawn it yet again, from earlier reference, I went looking for it in order to discover its history but although I searched beside the recently realigned highway and old side roads I could neither find it nor where it had been. I conclude that it decayed to the point where it had to be demolished and with it, no doubt, went another little history. That is the fate of all houses, rich or poor, grand or simple. I am pleased that I was able, in passing, to capture just a few. 

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan