Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

02 June 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Inglis Hops, Riwaka

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.



The architecture of this hop drying kiln at Riwaka in the west of Nelson province derives from its function, nothing else; and like so many functional buildings it has its own, unique charm. There were others like it in the area (whose climate favours both hops and the now pariah tobacco) but I haven't seen anything in the rest of New Zealand that looks quite the same. I did this painting in 1988 but I imagine that the kiln still exists. 

I'm not the only artist to be attracted to this subject, Rita Angus did a superb painting, 'Hop Kilns, Motueka' in 1941, have a look at it, just put the title in the Google search box.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan