Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

30 August 2011

New Zealand Odyssey: Onuku Church At 'The Kaik' (Kainga=Village) Akaroa

'New Zealand Odyssey', published in 1989 by Heinemann, was authored by me, Don Donovan (who did the text and illustrations) and Euan Sarginson, who did the photography and design. In this series of blog posts, I will publish some of my drawings.


I've visited Onuku Marae near Akaroa on a number of occasions and have drawn this exquisite church more than once. On every occasion I've sought to find somebody who would not only give me permission to photograph and enter the church but also who might tell me something of its history, but Onuku village has always appeared deserted. 

It's a delightful spot, somewhat remote at the end of a winding shoreline road but not far from the tourists' mecca of Akaroa. I guess the local Maori, though not unwelcoming, prefer their seclusion and lie incommunicado until visitors have left.

The church is a simple porch and nave; it's the Maori embellishments that give it its charm.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan