Ramblings of a much published New Zealand author

06 April 2012

A Book Jacket for Pegasus Press: Enter Without Knocking


Denis Glover and I worked for the same advertising agency, Carlton-Carruthers du Chateau, but at different times. I never met him. But, coincidentally, Albion Wright, the managing director of Pegasus Press - with whom I was well acquainted - asked me to design a dust wrapper for Glover's new book of poems: 'Enter Without Knocking'.

I could see no immediate graphic symbolism so I decided simply to hand-letter the title and to add a pair of drawn swelled rules.

Now, aged 79, I look back at the work, published in 1964, and boggle that I not only hand-lettered the characters but did so at the actual size that they were reproduced. I must have had steady eyes and hands in those days; I certainly don't have them now!

Denis, Albion told me, was delighted, and that was great praise from a typographer of his eminence.

© DON DONOVAN
donovan@ihug.co.nz
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paypal

Blog Archive

Hits Counter

Blogdash

Loaded Web

Blog Directory for Albany, New Zealand

BlogThisHere.com

Blog This Here

Blog Flux

Commentary blogs
Blog Directory

Comments

  • <$BlogCommentAuthor$> // <$BlogCommentDateTime$>

Blurb

RANDOM SAMPLINGS F...
By Don Donovan